Hide

SCALBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SCALBY, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Cloughton, and the townships of Burniston, Newby, Scalby, Stainton-Dale, and Throxenby, and containing 1559 inhabitants, of which number, 446 are in the township of Scalby, 3 miles W.N.W. from Scarborough. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6.13. 4., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. At Scalby Mill, in this parish, are teagardens, resorted to by the company that visit Scarborough during the season for bathing."


"BURNISTON, a township in the parish of SCALBY, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.W. from Scarborough, containing 347 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"CLOUGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of SCALBY, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4½ miles N.N.W. from Scarborough, containing 366 inhabitants. Here is a large quarry of excellent freestone."


"NEWBY, a township in the parish of SCALBY, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.N.W. from Scarborough, containing 40 inhabitants."


"STAINTON DALE, a township in the parish of SCALBY, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.N.W. from Scarborough, containing 294 inhabitants."


"THROXENBY, a township in the parish of SCALBY, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W. from Scarborough, containing 66 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]