Hide

Scawton

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"SCAWTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles WSW. of Helmsley. Here is an ancient church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Mary, in the patronage of Mr. Worsley, of which the Rev. John Oxlee, is the rector. Pop. 154."


"COLD CAM, 2 farm houses in the township of Byland-Membris and parish of Scawton, wapentake of Rydale; 1¼ miles SSW. of Scawton, 6 miles WSW. of Helmsley."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Census

  • Haydn Scott has transcribed the following population censuses for Scawton:
    • 1841 with considerable additional information. This file is in Acrobat format.
    • 1871. This file is in Acrobat format.
    • 1851
    • 1901
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE549835 (Lat/Lon: 54.244255, -1.159041), Scawton which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies