[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SCAWTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles WSW. of Helmsley. Here is an ancient church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Mary, in the patronage of Mr. Worsley, of which the Rev. John Oxlee, is the rector. Pop. 154."
"COLD CAM, 2 farm houses in the township of Byland-Membris and parish of Scawton, wapentake of Rydale; 1¼ miles SSW. of Scawton, 6 miles WSW. of Helmsley."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Scawton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Scawton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE549835 (Lat/Lon: 54.244255, -1.159041), Scawton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1919 War Memorial in Scawton Churchyard.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: