[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SCRUTON, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles NNE. of Bedale. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Radegund (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory in the patronage of Henry Gale Esq. of which the Rev. William Newsome A.M. is the incumbent. Pop. 411." (There is further information for Scruton).
"GRIMESCAR, a Mill and a farm house in the township and parish of Scruton; 1¼ miles SSE. of Scruton, 3 miles from Bedale, 6 from Northallerton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The table of Legacies for the use of the poor in St. Radegund's Church, Scruton.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Radegund's Church, Scruton, view 1. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Radegund's Church, Scruton, view 2.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The former Wesleyan Chapel, Scruton, founded in 1879, as it was in 2003. (With short history).
- The ex Wesleyan Chapel, Scruton, in 2009.
- The Old Vicarage, Scruton.
- Transcript of the entry for Scruton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Scruton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Scruton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE300924 (Lat/Lon: 54.326298, -1.540232), Scruton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: