SCRUTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SCRUTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles, N.N.E. from Bedale, containing 411 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £14 0. 5., and in the patronage of Henry Gale, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Radegund."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]