SCRUTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SCRUTON, a parish in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N.E. of Bedale, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Northallerton. It is a station on the Northallerton and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £422 6s., and the glebe comprises 81 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £550. The church, dedicated to St. Radegund, is an ancient stone structure with an ivy-mantled tower containing a clock and three bells. There is a National school for both sexes. Scruton Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013