SEAMER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SEAMER, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of East Ayton, and the townships of Irton and Seamer, and containing 1034 inhabitants, of which number, 596 are in the township of Seamer, 4 miles S.S.W. from Scarborough. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £18. 16. 5., and in the patronage of W. J. Denison, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a handsome structure, in the cathedral form. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A noted fair is held annually on July 15th, and a market on the first Monday in every month, for cattle and sheep. Schools for children of both sexes, with a dwelling-house for the master, were built and liberally endowed by the lord of the manor, in 1814. An insurrection, headed by the parish clerk and two others, broke out here in the reign of Edward VI., in 1549., which had for its objects the restoration of the Roman Catholic religion, the abolition of monarchy, and the equalization of all ranks. The rebels, to the number of three thousand, after committing great excesses, laid down their arms upon being offered the king's pardon; but the ringleaders were taken and executed at York, in September of the same year."
"EAST AYTON, a chapelry in the parish of SEAMER, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Scarborough, containing 333 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is situated in a valley, remarkable for the beauty of its scenery, through which flows the river Derwent. An iron-foundry has been established here."
"IRTON, a township in the parish of SEAMER, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Scarborough, containing 105 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]