The Ancient Parish of SESSAY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SESSAY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; (Sessay Hall, the seat of the Hon. and Rev. William Henry Dawnay) 5 miles NW. of Easingwold. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Down. Pop. 364.
Here was born in 1686, John Jackson, an English divine, eldest son of the Rev. John Jackson, (first rector of this place and vicar of Rossington, W.R.) He was educated at Doncaster school, under the famous Dr. Bland, and at Jesus College, Cambridge. His best work is his Chronological Antiquities, 3 vols. 4to. 1752. He died at Leicester in 1763. -Nichols' Lit. Anecdote. -Bio. Dictionary."
"HUTTON SESSAY, in the parish of Sessay, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1¼ miles ENE. of Sessay, 5 miles NW. of Easingwold. Population, 129."
- Here is a photograph of St. Cuthbert's Church, Sessay.
- Transcript of the entry for Sessay in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sessay.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sessay to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE457752 (Lat/Lon: 54.170568, -1.301465), Sessay which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: