[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SHERIFF HUTTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 8 miles ESE. of Easingwold. The castle (see History
for photograph) here was built by Betram de Bulmer, in the reign of Stephen, from whose family it passed to that of Nevil. Ralph Nevil, first Earl of Westmoreland, repaired it. Richard Nevil, Earl of Warwick, being slain at the battle of Barnett, Edward IV. seized this castle; after whose death Richard, aspiring to the throne, imprisoned his elder brother's son, Edward Plantagenet, within this fortress, where he remained till Richard was slain at Bosworth Field, whence he was taken by Henry VII. and arraigned for high treason; supported by trifling and false pretences, he was, at the age of twenty-five, condemned, and beheaded in 1497, on Tower Hill. The Princess Elizabeth, afterwards the wife of Henry VII. was also confined here. The castle and manor became the property of Henry VII. and seem to have continued in the hands of the crown, until they were granted to Charles, Prince of Wales, afterwards Charles I. The late Lady Irwin, of Temple-Newsham, died seized of the same, and are now in possession of the Marquis of Hertford, in right of his wife, Isabella Anne, daughter of the late Lady Irwin, who took the title and sirname of Ingram, in 1807. The venerable ruins of this castle, consisting of seven stately towers, (one of which contains two spacious rooms,) are situated upon an eminence, commanding very extensive prospects. John, the son of Ralph Nevile, Lord of Raby, obtained a charter in 1377, for a market on Monday, and a fair annually on the eve of the exaltation of the Holy Cross, (September 14, and two following days,) which are now discontinued.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Helen (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and the Rev. Thomas Tate is the incumbent. There are also here two chapels, one for the Methodists and the other for the Primitive Methodists; and two schools, each with a small endowment. Population. 756."
"CORNBROUGH, in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles WNW. of Sheriff Hutton, 7 miles E. of Easingwold. Pop. 63."
"FARLINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer; 2¼ miles WNW. of Sheriff Hutton, 6 miles ESE. of Easingwold. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St Leonard, in the deanry of Bulmer, patronage of the Archbishop of York, the Rev. Major Dawson is the incumbent, and Rev. Richard Barton, officiating curate. Pop. 170."
"NORTH INGS, 2 farm houses in the parishes of Sheriff Hutton and Dalby, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1 mile SE. of Dalby, 8 miles E. of Easingwold."
"SHERIFF HUTTON PARK, (the seat of George Lowther Thompson, Esq.) in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer."
"STITTENHAM, (or High Stittenham), in the parish of Sheriff-Hutton, wapentake of Bulmer; 2 miles ENE. of Sheriff Hutton, 7 miles SW of Malton. Population 81.
The knightly family of Gower had anciently a seat here. Sir Allen Gower was sheriff for this county at the conquest, and from whom the present Marquis of Stafford, Earl Gower, Viscount Trentham, Baron Gower of Stettenham, is lineally descended. The present Baron Gower was created a Marquis in 1786. The family of the Gowers has produced many persons of eminence, amongst whom, was the celebrated Sir John Gower, the poet, and contemporary with Chaucer."
"WEST LILLING, (and East Lilling) or Lillings Ambo, in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, and wapentake of Bulmer; ¾ mile SSW. of Sheriff Hutton, 9 miles NNE. of York. Pop. 208."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]