Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4


If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.



Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SHERIFF HUTTON.     Church dedication: ST. HELEN.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 8,100 acres. Bulmer wapentake. - Population, 1,219 *1; Church-room, 558; Net value, £191.

The town of Sheriff Hutton contains sixteen carucates of land, whereof the Church is endowed with one, and the others belong to the Vicar.

And the Lords Nevill of Raby held on demesne fourteen carucates of Peter de Malolacu, who held them of the King in capite.

Here fifteen carucates made one knight's fee.

John Lord Nevill, on the 1st Richard II., obtained a charter for a weekly fair on Monday, and a yearly fair on the eve of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the day, and two days following.

Farlington, vide Farlington.

Stittenham was anciently a Chapel at Stitnam, wherein the Prior and Convent of Marton were bound to find a Chaplain-the inhabitants every Sunday contributing their alms towards his maintenance.

Cornbrough, contained seven carucates of land, whereof four were held by Ralph Neville, who held them of Peter de Malolacu, and he of the King in capite.

Also Robert Haket held two, viz. one of Marmaduke Thwing, who held it of Ralph Neville, &c., and the other was held of the said Ralph.

And the Prior of Marton held three and a half carucates, with a capital messuage and six tofts, being confirmed to them by Peter de Malolacu.

West Lilling. -John de Farlington held two carucates of Robert de Neville, and he of Peter de Malolacu, and he of the King in capite.

The Church was an ancient Rectory belonging to the Patronage of the Mauleys, till it was given by Peter de Mauley, third Lord of Mulgrave, to the Prior and Convent of Marton, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, Id. Oct. 1332, and a new Ordination was made by Archbishop Neville, 13th Jan. 1376.

At the Dissolution the Patronage came to the Crown, and King Henry VIII. gave the Rectory and Advowson to the See of York in exchange, and the Archbishops of York have accordingly presented ever since.

The Castle was originally built by Sir Bertrand Bulmer, and re-edified by Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmoreland.

Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.

Valued in the King's books, at £10 *2. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 15, it is stated : " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop; " and in 1818, at £140. 18s. per annum.

The Church of Hutton is valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation at £66, and in his second at £36. 13s. 4d.; and the Vicarage at £16, which in the second is reduced to £26. 13s. 4d.

Augmented in 1719, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Leonard Thompson, Esq., and in 1834 with £200, and £200 from the Parliamentary Grant to meet benefaction of a Stipend of £30 per annum, from Edward Harcourt, Lord Archbishop of York.

Two Chantries, one of them in the Castle, also another at Cornbrough, consisting of rents and farms, and a pension.

An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III. (Sheriff Hutton and West Lilling.)

The glebe house is unfit for residence, vide return in 1834. In 1818, it was returned fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1628. Chasm 1638-1650.

Flaxton Poor lands. Rent of 11a. of land, common rights, &c., let at the time of the Report for £19. 16s. per annum ; two-thirds are appropriated, agreeably to the will of one Robinson, in apprenticing two poor boys, and the other third is distributed to the poor. The whole of the fund has of late years been applied to the purpose of education.

Poor's Stock. Dividends on £287. 2s. 9d. three per cent. consols, purchased with £40 bequeathed by Edmund Philliskirk in 1779 ; £5 given by Richard Adamson in 1767 ; and £123. 15s. 9d., arising from the sale of wood on the poor's estate. Part of the income is distributed in bread and coals, and the rest applied to the purposes of education.

Richard Winter's charity, by will, dated 24th August 1711. Rent of 9a. of land, for the schoolmaster, subject to the annual payments of £1 to the Minister, for sermons on St. Thomas's day and St. John Baptist's day ; and one shilling-worth of bread to the poor every Sunday. At the time of the Report, the land was considerably underlet.

Christopher Richardson, in the year 1670, gave a close called the Nether flats, at West Lilling, containing 4a. of land. The rent, stated in the benefaction board to be £2. 12s. per annum, to be given in bread to the poor of West Lulling and Sheriff Hutton. Supposed to have been given by deed, but which cannot now be found. The overseers claim the actual rent, but the occupier refuses to pay more than £2. 12s. per annum. Timber appears to have been occasionally cut by the overseers.

Jonathan Corduke's gift, by will, dated 15th June 1808. Interest of £20, distributed at Christmas among the poor.

Christopher Cattle's gift, by will, dated 14th April 1792. Interest of £20, for instructing two poor children to read. Not paid at the time of the Report.


Poor's Money. 54s., being the amount of sundry small benefactions, the memorials of which are now lost, is placed out at interest on a promissory note, and the interest is distributed at Candlemas. -Vide 10th Report, page 734.

Post town: Whitwell.

Torre's MS., page 477. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 18. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hotun), page 74; (Stidnum), 73; (Corlebroc), 74; (Lilinge), 25. 75. 226. Burton's Monasticon, pages 266. 363. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 198. Bodleian MS., Nos. 5078, 5101. Gent's History of Hull. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 370. Todd's Sheriff Hutton.

*1 Viz. Cornbrough, 59; Lillings Ambo. 197; Sheriff Hutton, 877; and Stittenham, 86. In 1834, the population was returned at 1,220. -Farlington Chapel, formerly a Chapel of Ease, is Parochial, and now accounted a Parish Church, and the area and population are separately stated.

*2 The Valor Eccl. states both the mansion and a pension of 101.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.