Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHERIFF HUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHERIFF HUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SHERIFF HUTTON, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Farlington, and the. townships of Cornbrough, Lillings-Ambo, Sheriff-Hutton, and Stittenham, and containing 1278 inhabitants, of which number, 756 are in the township of Sheriff-Hutton, 11 miles N.N.E. from York. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A school is endowed with a rent-charge upon land given for charitable purposes, in which more than twenty boys are educated gratuitously in reading, writing, and arithmetic, under two masters. A castle erected here in the time of Stephen, by Bertram de Buhner, was seized by Edward IV., and subsequently became the prison of Edward Plantagenet, wherein he remained till the death of Richard at the battle of Bosworth field: the Princess Elizabeth, afterwards consort of Henry VII., was also confined here."


"CORNBROUGH, a township in the parish of SHERIFF-HUTTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.E. from York, containing 63 inhabitants."


"FARLINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of SHERIFF-HUTTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Easingwold, containing 170 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are sundry small benefactions, the interest of which is applied to teaching six children."


"LILLINGS AMBO, a township in the parish of SHERIFF-HUTTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.E. from York, containing 208 inhabitants."


"STITTENHAM, a township in the parish of SHERIFF-HUTTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles W.S.W. from New Malton, containing 81 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]