The Ancient Parish of SINNINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SINNINGTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 4 miles WNW. of Pickering. There is here an endowment, left by Lady Lumley, for boys on going apprentice. The church (see Churches for photograph) living is a curacy, in the patronage of the master of Hemsworth school, and the Rev. Edward Dowker is the incumbent. There is also a Methodist chapel here. A branch of the Thornton Grammar School is established in this parish; which partakes also of the benefits of Lady Lumley's hospitals. (See Thornton.) Pop. 343."
"GALLOW HEADS, a farm house in the township of Marton, and parish of Sinnington; 1¼ miles SSE. of Sinnington, 3 miles from Pickering."
"LITTLE EDSTONE, a farm house in the parish of Sinnington, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles WSW. of Sinnington, 3 miles SE. of Kirkbymoorside. Population, 16."
"MARTON, in the parish of Sinnington, waps. of Rydale and Pickering Lythe, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ miles SSW. of Sinnington, 4½ miles W. of Pickering. Pop. 255. (see also Churches)"
"SINNINGTON GRANGE, 2 farm houses in the township and parish of Sinnington; 1 mile SSW. of Sinnington, 4 miles from Pickering, 5 from Kirbymoorside,"
"TITHE HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Sinnington; 2½ miles from Kirbymoorside."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcriptions of the censuses from 1841 to 1911 for Sinnington are to be found on Bernie Frank's Normanby in Ryedale site.
- Transcript of the entry for Sinnington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sinnington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sinnington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE744858 (Lat/Lon: 54.262464, -0.859294), Sinnington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)