SINNINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SINNINGTON, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Ryedale, but chiefly in Pickering Lythe wapentake, North Riding county York, 4½ miles W. of Pickering, its post town, and 4 E. of Kirkbymoorside. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Severn, and on the high road between Pickering and Kirkbymoorside. The parish includes the townships of Marton and Little Edstone. In the village is a green and maypole. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £84, in the patronage of the Master of Hemsworth School. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is built out of the remains of the monastery, and was repaired in 1841. The register dates from 1597. The parochial charities produce about £27, which go towards the support of the school. The Wesleyans have a chapel and Sunday-school."
"LITTLE EDSTONE, a township in the parish of Sinnington, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 1 mile N.E. of Great Edstone."
"MARTON, a township in the parish of Sinnington, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 5 miles from Pickering railway station, and 4 from Kirkbymoorside, on the river Rye, and is a meet for the Sinnington hounds. The soil consists of loam, alternating with clay and gravel. Divine service is performed every fortnight in the schoolroom. There is a school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school held in the chapel. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. The Rev. Godfrey Wright is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013