Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SKELTON IN CLEVELAND. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 3,960 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 1,711 *1; Church-room, 60 *2; Net value, £137. -This Church of Skelton, in which was a Chantry founded by Adam de Skelton, was appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was given by Robert de Brus, without ordination of any Vicarage.
The patronage of the Church with the impropriation and Chapel of Brotton, were given by King Henry VIII. in exchange to the See of York.
The Church was valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £17. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £7. 6s. 8d.; in 1707, the Curacy was certified at £29. 3s. 4d. (of which £26. 13s. 4d. was an augmentation from the Archbishop.) In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 31, the chancel is stated to be in great decay; and in 1818, valued at £79 per annum *3.
Augmented in 1749, with £200; in 1767, with £200; and in 1787, with £200, -all by lot ; in 1797, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200, from the Commissioners named in an Inclosure Act under 34th Geo. III.; in 1814, with £800 from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot; and in 1832, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200, by subscriptions.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigrees of the Trotters, Halls, Stevensons, and Whartons.
20th July 1753, faculty granted to erect a gallery.
26th July 1785, faculty granted to rebuild the Church of Skelton.
31st October 1786, confirmation of allotment of pews.
1777, faculty granted to take down and rebuild the Chapel at Brotton.
27th June 1778, confirmation granted of allotments of pews.
The present Church is a neat modern edifice.
An Inclosure Act was passed 53rd Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books for Skelton commence in 1698, and for Brotton in 1653. A mortgage of £200 under Gilbert's Act ceased in 1838.
The Lords of Skelton had the privilege of a market, which was held weekly, on Sunday; when the people assembled in the morning to attend Divine worship, and in the afternoon, transacted their business and regaled themselves with oat ale ; but in the 13th Edward II., John Lord Fauconberg obtained a license from the King, for changing it from Sunday to Saturday. Sunday markets were gradually abolished by Act of Parliament in the reign of Edward IV.
About a mile from Great Moors is a Druidical mound called Freeburg.
Skelton school. House and garth, purchased with £20 left by Thos. Marver on the 5th October 1755 ; and a further sum raised by subscription, ten free scholars.
TOWNSHIP OF SKELTON.
Carrick's dole. 16s. 8d. per annum to the poor:-
Conn's and Collins's doles. £1. 6s. 8d., and 6s. per annum, rents-charge for the poor.
William Hutton's rent charge. £1. 10s. per annum, for the poor.
Leng's rent charge. 30s. per annum ; 10s. is paid to the poor of Stanghow, 10s. to the poor of Skelton, and 10s. to the repairs of the Church.
Poor's cottages. These are three in number, and are occupied by paupers.
Scarthe's charity, vide Carleton. The dividends due to this parish are distributed by the minister and overseers among widows and those with large families.
TOWNSHIP OF MOORSOME.
Robert Barwick's dole, gift recited by deed, dated 10th July 1747. 30s. per annum has been paid as a rent charge, out of a close containing about four acres; of which 17s. has been paid to the poor of Stanghow, and 13s. to the poor of Skelton having no weekly allowance, but the Commissioners were of opinion that the land itself was clearly conveyed to the use of the poor.
Poor's money. The sum of £20 was placed out at the time of the Report on Note, and the interest distributed by the overseers.
Scarth's charity, vide Carleton. The proportion due to this township is £5. 6s. 1 lid. per annum, and it is distributed once a year by the minister and churchwardens.
TOWNSHIP OF STANGHOW.
Ling's dole, Barwick's dole, and Scarth's charity. Vide Skelton township.
Poor's money. The sum of £27 was placed out at the time of the Report, on note, and the interest, at the rate of 9d. in the pound, distributed by the overseer. -Vide 7th Report, page 729.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Torre's MS., page 129. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 150. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Graves's Cleveland, page 349. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 267. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 80. Burton's Monasticon, page 352. Ashmoleian MSS. No. 8487. Not Noticed by Ecton or Bacon.
*1 Viz. Brotton, 327 ; Kilton, 89 ; Skinning-grave, 63 ; total Brotton parish, 470. Great Moorsome, 338; Skelton 781, and Stranghow 122 ; total Skelton parish, 1,241.
*2 This must be a mistake, the return in 1818 being 700.
*3 See Valor Ecc. vol. iii. page 80. for the value of the appropriation.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.