SKELTON IN CLEVELAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the N.R. of Yorkshire."
"SKELTON CASTLE, in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, bet. Kirkleatham and the Sea, anciently bel. to Robert de Brus, a Norman, ancestor of the Bruces, Ks. of Scotland. It went by marriage, together with its great park, to Walter de Falconberg; whose grandson obtained a license of Edw. II. to change the Mt. it then had on Sunday, to S. and for a Fair on Whit-M., and 2 days after. It went from this family, by marriage of the heiress, to William de Nevil, afterwards by her right Ld. Falconberg, and at last created by Edw. IV. E. of Kent. This T. gave title of baron, in the R. of Cha. II. to Robert Bruce, E. of Elgin in Scotland, when he was also created E. of Alesbury in England."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]