"SKELTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N.E. of Guisborough, its post town. The parish, which is bounded on the N. by the German Ocean, is of large extent, and includes the chapelry of Brotton, the hamlet of Manless Green, and the townships of Kilton, Great Moorsholm, Saltburn, Skiningrove, and Stanghow. It was given by William the Conqueror to Robert de Brus, ancestor to the kings of Scotland, and of the present family of Bruce, Marquises of Ailesbury. The castle, originally built in the 12th century, was the residence of Hall, the "Eugenius of Sterne, and author of "Crazy Tales." The village, which is still considerable, was formerly a market town. The Cleveland hounds meet here; seals are taken on the coast. There are quarries of freestone in the hills. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £190, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower containing two bells; it was rebuilt in 1755. There is a chapel-of-ease at Brotton. The Wesleyans have two chapels, one at Skelton, and the other at Great Moorsholm. There are National schools, built in 1848 by the present owner of the castle, J. T. Wharton, Esq. The parochial charities produce £10 per annum."
"GARRICK, a township united with Moorsholm, in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Guisborough."
"GREAT MOORSHAM, (and Moorsholm cum Girrick) townships in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Guisborough. These townships, which are wholly agricultural, are nearly surrounded by moorland hills. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the neighbourhood, and there is a National school."
"MANLESS GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, liberty of East Langbaurgh, North Riding of county York, 3 miles N.E. of Guisborough. It is situated near the coast of the North Sea."
"STANGOW, a township in the parish of Skelton in Cleveland, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Guisborough."