The Ancient Parish of SOCKBURN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOCKBURN, a parish in the County of Durham, in which are some townships in the County of Yorkshire."
"GIRSBY, in the parish of Sockburn, part in the county of Durham, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; ¾ mile NNE. of Sockburn, 5 miles SW. of Yarm. It is bounded on the north by the river Tees, which the inhabitants have to cross in boats to their parish church. Population, 85."
"OVER DINSDALE, in the parish of Sockburn, which is partly in the County of Durham, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 2¾ miles N. of Sockburn, 5½ miles SW. of Yarm, situated on the banks of the Tees. Pop. 66."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints Church, Girsby.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sockburn.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sockburn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ348072 (Lat/Lon: 54.458997, -1.464704), Sockburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: