SOCKBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SOCKBURN, a parish, chiefly in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, but partly also in the S.W. division of Stockton ward, county Durham, 7 miles S.E. of Darlington, its post town, and 10 from Stockton. It is situated on a bend of the river Tees, and includes the hamlets of Over Dinsdale and Girsby. The manor came to the Blacketts through the Conyers family, of whom was Sir John Conyers, the dauntless knight, who is said to have slain the monstrous venomous serpent or dragon at the grey stone in an adjoining field, where it had previously devoured many people. In memory of which a falchion is still presented to the Bishop of Durham at his first coming into the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham, value £190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It contains monuments and effigies of the Conyers family, of the 14th century. The Hall is the principal residence."
"GIRSBY, a township in the parish of Sockburn, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Darlington, and 6 S.W. of Yarm. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Tees, which separates it from the rest of the parish. It has a small stone church."
"OVER DINSDALE, a township in the parish of Sockburn, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 8½ miles N. of Northallerton, and 2 from Middleton and Dinsdale railway station. It is situated near the river Tees, opposite Lower Dinsdale."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013