Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SOUTH OTTERINGTON. Church dedication: ST. ANDREW. Church type: Discharged Rectory.
Area, 1,780 acres. Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 241 ; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £290. -This Church is an ancient Rectory of two Medieties, the one formerly in the patronage of the Malbys, from them to the Beckwiths of Clint ; the other (on the north side of the Church) formerly in the patronage of the Wassands, and afterwards of the Waddesleys, and the Everinghams of Birkin, and the Falconbridges. Both Medieties came into the hands of the Talbots, about 150 years before Archbishop Sharp's time, and they presented till 1796, when it came to Thomas Bramley, Esq.
Present patron, T. Darnborough, Esq.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5. 6s. 8d. each Mediety, viz. Thomas's part and William's part ; Nova Tax, £2 each Mediety ; and in the King's books, at £7. 14s. 4d. per annum each Mediety, after deducting Synodals and Procurations, for each, 5s. 9d.
Augmented in 1792, with £200, by lot. (First Mediety.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1718. -Vide earlier transcripts in the Registry at York.
Parochial Charieties. -No return.
Post town: Thirsk.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 48. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Burton's Monasticon, page 335.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.