Hide

SPENNITHORNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SPENNITHORNE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bellerby, Harmby, and Spennithorn, and containing 850 inhabitants,' of which number, 249 are in the township of Spennithorn, 1 mile N.N.E. from Middleham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £20. 10. 5.,1 and in the patronage of Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. John Hutehinson, a philosophical writer, was born here, in 1667."


"BELLERBY, a chapelry in the parish of SPENNITHORNE, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N. from Leyburn, containing 407 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of W. Chaytor, Esq."


"HARMBY, a township in the parish of SPENNITHORNE, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from Middleham, containing 194 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]