[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STARTFORTH, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile W. of Barnard Castle; a small irregularly built village, situated on the banks of the Tees, opposite Barnard Castle. The church, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity (see Churches for photograph), is an ancient structure; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. Pop. 460."
"BOLDRON, in the parish of Startforth, wapentake of Gilling West, & liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles SSW. of Startforth, 2 miles SSW. of Barnard Castle. Pop. 168."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The Boldron Parish History Group website has a transcription of the Boldron Census for 1841, 1881 and 1901 by Catherine Ryan.
- Transcript of the entry for Startforth in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Startforth.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Startforth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ040160 (Lat/Lon: 54.539251, -1.93969), Startforth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NZ031155) Startforth Grange