The Ancient Parish of STILLINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STILLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; (the seat of William Croft, Esq. and Stillington-Hall, the seat of Harry Croft, Esq.) 4 miles ESE. of Easingwold. Here is a small humble looking church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Nicholas; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebend of Stillington; incumbent, the Rev. T. H. Croft. This was one of the church livings held by the celebrated Lawrence Sterne, who resided at Sutton, in this neighbourhood. There are also a Methodist chapel, and a National school in this village. Pop. 698."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Stillington and District Community Archive is a project to create an archive for Stillington and its 'sister' communities, Marton and Moxby. Its a long term project which is still in it's infancy, but is progressing well.
- Transcript of the entry for Stillington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stillington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE583678 (Lat/Lon: 54.102795, -1.109908), Stillington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaques in St. Nicholas's Church, Stillington.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: