Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: STILLINGTON. Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 1490 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. Population, 717 *2; Church-room, 400; Net value, £178. -The Prebendary is lord of the whole town, having there his manor and full jurisdiction ; also three carucates of demesne land, and 20A. of demesne meadow, and two watermills and one windmill ; likewise, three messuages and sixty-six oxgangs of land, held of him by certain rents ; also other tofts, held of him by annual rents and services.
King Richard I. confirmed to the Monks of Selby a certain mill at Stillington.
This Church is an ancient Rectory, belonging to the Prebendary of Stillington, in the Cathedral Church of York, to which Stall it was appropriated and a Vicarage ordained therein in 152-, by the Prebendary, with consent of the Chapter.
Patron, the Prebendary of Stillington in York Cathedral.
Impropriator, Colonel Croft.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
Valued in the King's books, at £4. 15s. 4d. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 5s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 210 (Manor), 213 (Vicarage), it is stated : " The Vicarage hath wool, lamb, hay, and all other small tithes ; value per annum £8."
Augmented in 1792, with £200, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1666.
In Naulton and Wimbleton the Prebendary hath lands and jurisdiction.
Jane Rawdon's charity, given in 1654. Rent of cottage and yard, and allotment on the common of 17a. 0r. 6p. of land. Given in coals.
William Cook's gift, in 1713. rent charge of 5s. per annum to the poor.
Alice Cook's gift, in 1715. rent charge of 5s. per annum to poor widows. -Vide 8th Report, page 720.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 803. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 66. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Stivelinctun), page 50. Nonae Rolls, page 242. Burton's Monasticon, page 404.
*1 But in Saint Peter's Liberty.
*2 In 1834, the population was returned at 550.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.