STOCKTON ON THE FOREST: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"STOCKTON ON THE FOREST, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from York, containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Bugthorpe in the Cathedral Church of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]