Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WESTERDALE. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Area, 8,750 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. Population, 281 *1; Chapel-room, 150; Net value, vide Stokesley.
Patron, vide Stokesley.
This Chapel has the right of sepulture, and marriages are solemnized therein.
An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III.
The manor is co-extensive with the township, and has the right of granting probates of wills and letters of administration of the effects only of persons dying within the manor, and not having Bona Notabilia elsewhere. The usual period of granting probates is on the second Saturday after Michaelmas Day.
No wills had been proved or administrations granted for many years previous to 1829, when the return was made to Parliament.
No return as to glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1666 ; very defective till 1700.
The Free School. Founded by Jane Duck, by will, dated 26th March 1734, and endowed with a rent charge of £3 per annum, for teaching seven poor children ; and augmented with a close containing twelve acres, by the will of Mary Fisher, dated 26th August 1741, for teaching eight other poor children reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Joseph Dunn's rent charge, 10s. per annum, by will, in 1716 ; Roger Bell's rent charge, 10s. per annum, by will, in 1722, and Mary Duck's rent charge, £2 per annum-all distributed among the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 734.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Torre's MS., page 1679. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 138. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 507. Burton's Monasticon, page 281. Graves's Cleveland, page 269. Not noticed by Ecton or Bacon.
*1 From the parish of Westerdale several families have emigrated to America, but the Population is the same.
BASEDALE PRIORY. -The Priory of Basedale was founded about 1162 by Ralph de Nevil, for Cistercian Nuns.
Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 507. Graves, page 265.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.