"STOKESLEY, is a small but neat market town, in the parish of its name, and west-division of Langbaurgh liberty, north riding, 238 miles from London, 98 from Manchester, 42 from York 10 from Northallerton, 9 from Guisborough, and 8 from Yarm. The town consists chiefly of one street, about half a mile in length, containing many well built homes seated in a fruitful tract called 'Allertonshire,' watered by the river Wiske, and, near the source of the Tees. The parish church is dedicated to St. Peter; the living is in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. Levison Vernon. Here are also a chapel each belonging to the Methodists and Calvinists, two national schools, and a dispensary. The Rev. Henry Hildyard, who is lord of the manor, holds a court leet annually, and the magistrates hold petty sessions weekly. This is a place inconsiderable in point of trade, being chiefly supported by the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood, but the fairs are large and well attended; they are held on the Saturdays before Trinity and Palm Sundays, and on the Saturday after Old Lamas Day, for horses, horned cattle, &c. The weekly market is on Saturday, which is well supplied with every necessary article of consumption. The township contained, in 1821, 1,897 inhabitants."