The Ancient Parish of STONEGRAVE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STONEGRAVE, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles SE. of Helmsley. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a rectory of which the King is the patron. Pop. 177.
In this church are three inscriptions, illustrative of the descendant of that learned divine Thomas Comber, D.D. dean of Durham, whose son Thomas, resided at East Newton, in this parish. --The particulars may be met with in Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes."
"BIRCH, a farm house in the parish of Stonegrave; 1¾ miles WNW. of Stonegrave, 3½ miles from Helmsley, 7½ miles from Kirkbymoorside."
"EAST NESS, in the parish of Stonegrave and wapentake of Rydale; 2½ miles ENE. of Stonegrave, 6 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 59.
In a ploughed field, near this village, in 1616, was found, the following sepulchral inscription, on a sarcophagus, which contained human bones.
TITIA' PINTA' VIX' ANN' XXXVIlI' ET' VAL' ADIVTORI' VIX' ANN' XX' ET' VARIOLO' VIX' ANN' XV' VAL' VINDICIANVS' CONIVGI' ET' FILIlS' F. C.
"EAST NEWTON, in the parish of Stonegrave, wapentake of Rydale, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1¼ miles SW. of Stonegrave, 4 miles SSE. of Helmsley. Pop. including Laysthorpe, 72.
Of this place was the Rev. Thomas Comber, eldest son of Thomas Comber, esq. of East-Newton, and grandson of the pious and learned Dr. Comber, dean of Durham. Dr. Comber died at Buckworth, in 1778; and was buried at Stonegrave. -Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes."
"LEYSTHORPE, a farm house in the township of East-Newton, and parish of Stonegrave; 1¼ miles WNW. of Stonegrave, 4 miles south of Helmsley, 7 from Kirbymoorside."
"WEST NESS, in the parish of Stonegrave, and wapentake of Rydale; 2¼ miles ENE. of Stonegrave, 6 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 63."
- Transcript of the entry for Stonegrave in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Stonegrave.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stonegrave to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE656778 (Lat/Lon: 54.191779, -0.996115), Stonegrave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)