The Ancient Parish of STRENSALL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STRENSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's ; 6 miles NNE. of York. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Strensall; incumbent, the Rev. John Ellis. Population, 378."
"EARSWICK, in the parishes of Huntington and Strensall, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 2½ miles SSW. of Strensall, 3½ miles NNE. of York. Pop. 116."
"TOWTHORPE, in the parishes of Strensall and Huntington, and wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2½ miles NNE. of Huntington, 4½ miles NNE. of York. Population, 58."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Strensall in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Strensall.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Strensall to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE633608 (Lat/Lon: 54.039302, -1.034913), Strensall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: