Sutton On The Forest
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SUTTON ON THE FOREST, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 5 miles SE. of Easingwold. Here is a very handsome parish church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The celebrated Lawrence Sterne was a resident in, and the vicar of this parish; but on the destruction of the parsonage house by fire, he moved to Coxwold, of which place he was also vicar, as well as of Stillington. Population, 443."
"HUBY, in the parish of Sutton on the Forest, wapentake of Bulmer, & liberty of Pickering Lythe; 1 mile WNW. of Sutton on the Forest, 4 miles SE. of Easingwold. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Friends' Meeting house. Pop. 497."
"SUET CARR, a few farm houses in the township and parish of Sutton-on-the-forest; 2 miles SE. of Sutton on the Forest, 6 miles from York, 8 from Easingwold."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here is a photograph of All Hallows' Church, Sutton on the Forest.
- Transcript of the entry for Sutton on the Forest in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sutton on the Forest.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sutton On The Forest to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE583647 (Lat/Lon: 54.074937, -1.110504), Sutton On The Forest which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: