[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"TERRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 8 miles WSW. of Malton. Here is an elegant small parish church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the church living is a rectory, of which the Rev. Dr. Waddilove, is the patron, and the Rev. John Caley, the incumbent, Here is also a Methodist chapel. Pop. including Wiganthorpe, 617."
"GANTHORPE, in the parish of Terrington, wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles E. of Terrington, 6 miles WSW. of Malton. Here is a school, endowed by the Earl of Carlisle, with about £20. per annum. The Rev. Robert Freer is the resident clergyman, and Mr. Richard Spruce the school master. Pop. 106."
"MOWTHORPE, in the parish of Terrington, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1½ miles SE. of Terrington, 7 miles WSW. of Malton."
"WIGANTHORPE, (the seat of William Garforth, Esq.) in the parish of Terrington, wapentake of Bulmer; 1 mile NNW. of Terrington, 8 miles NE. of Easingwold."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Terrington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Terrington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE670707 (Lat/Lon: 54.127798, -0.976238), Terrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)