Hide

Thirsk

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"THIRSK, a small market town and a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth : 9 miles from Northallerton; 10 miles from Easingwold; 11 from Boroughbridge; and 23 from York. This town is pleasantly situated in the vale of Mowbray; and is conjectured to derive its name from the ancient British words, Tre -a town, and Isk -a river, or brook." (There is further information for Thirsk).


"CARLTON MINIOTT, (or Carleton Islebeck) in the parish of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles WSW. of Thirsk. Pop. 221."


"SANDHUTTON, in the parish of Thirsk, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3 miles W. of Thirsk, 3 miles WSW. of Thirsk. In addition to the Chapel of Ease dedicated to St. Mary, there is here a chapel for the Methodists. Pop. 273."


"SOWERBY, in the parish of Thirsk, and wapentake of Birdforth; (the seats of Robert Bell Livesy, and Cornelius Cayley, Esqrs.); ½ mile SSE. of Thirsk. Is a pleasant village, containing many good houses, and communicates with Thirsk by an excellent gravel walk, across the fields called the flats. This walk commands a fine view of the adjacent country, terminated by the Hambleton hills, and is the favourite promenade of the inhabitants. There is here an ancient Chapel of Ease to the church of Thirsk, Population, 748."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • St Leonard's Church, Sand Hutton has two graveyards - the old one round the church and a new one in a separate location about 50 yards away. The church practices the Living Churchyard system. [Judith Richardson, January 2008]
topup

Charities

topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Description & Travel

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

  • A history of Thirsk by Thirskweb.com. The Thirskweb.com site has lots of old photographs.
  • In 1868, Carlton Miniott (in this parish) was constituted a separate parish for all civil and ecclesiastical purposes. See Carlton Miniott Parish.
  • Between 1822 and 1890, Sowerby (in this parish) was constituted for all civil and ecclesiastical purposes, became a separate parish. See Sowerby Parish.
  • Between 1865 and 1890, Sand Hutton (a township in this parish) was constituted a separate parish. See Sand Hutton Parish.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE429821 (Lat/Lon: 54.232817, -1.34337), Thirsk which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies