[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 4 miles NW. of Easingwold. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory; patrons, Lord Vese Downe and Sir George Cayley, Bart. alternately; incumbent, the Hon. Rev. W. H. Downay. Pop. 118."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Thormanby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thormanby.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thormanby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE494748 (Lat/Lon: 54.166631, -1.244859), Thormanby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: