Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: THORNTON DALE. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 8,470 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 1,368 *1; Church-room 500 *2; Net value, £396. -An ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Lords Brus, of Skelton, afterwards of the Lords Hastings, then of the Cholmleys, of Whitby, to 1699, then of the Hills, and afterwards of the Lords Berwick.
On the 6 Kal. September 1226, a Vicarage was ordained, but on 14th Kal. 1308, it was consolidated with the Rectory.
Present patron, K. Hill, EN.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £14. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £11; Vicaria ejusdem, £5; and in the King's Books, at £20 per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 20th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1539 ; defective 1604-1623.
Parochial Charities. -No return ; but Mr. Gilbert gives an account of the endowed Grammar School.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS., pages 215. 217. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 94. Gilbert's Liber Scholasticus, page 309. Nonae Rolls, page 239. East-mead's Rievallensis, page 316. Burton's Monasticon, pages 363. 379. Gent's Ripon, page 59.
*1 Viz. Farmanby, 431; and Thornton Dale, 937. Farmanby extends into Ellerburn parish. In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 931.
*2 Estimated in 1818 at 600.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.