THORNTON DALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"THORNTON DALE, a delightful village, in the parish of its name, is in the same lythe and riding as Pickering, two miles and a half from that town, on the road to Scarborough. The public edifices here are the parish church, the living of which is in the gift of Richard Hill, Esq. and incumbency of the Rev. J. H. Webb, a Methodist chapel, and a free grammar school, endowed by Lady Lumley, whose munificence erected also twelve alms-houses, for as many poor persons of this and the adjacent villages. The population of this parish, in 1821, was 1,282, including 879 in the township."
Note: The directory entry for Thornton Dale in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Pickering.
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007