THORNTON DALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"THORNTON DALE, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Farmanby and Thornton-Dale, and containing 1282 inhabitants, of which number, 879 are in the township of Thornton-Dale, 2 miles S.E. from Pickering. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £20, and hi the patronage of R. Hill, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship forWesleyanMethodists. A free grammar school was endowed, in 1657, by Viscountess Lumley, who also erected twelve almshouses for as many poor people."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]