Thornton Le Street
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON LE STREET, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 3 miles NNW. of Thirsk. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Leonard, in the patronage of Christ's Church College, Oxford; the Rev. T. H. Fowles, A.M. rector. Pop. 131.
Here the Rycknild street separated from the road leading to Catterick, and stretching in a direct line by Sowerby crossed the Tees at Sockburn. --Cade."
"BEAL HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Thornton-le-street; 1 mile WNW. of Thornton le Street, 4 miles from Thirsk, 6 from Northallerton."
"NORTH KILVINGTON, in the parish of Thornton le Street, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; ¾ mile SE. of Thornton le Street, 2 miles N. of Thirsk. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel, of which the Rev. Mr. Lawson is the priest. Pop. 68."
"VIEWLY HILL, in the parish of Thornton le Street, & wapentake of Allertonshire; 1 mile W. of Thornton le Street, 4 miles NW. of Thirsk."
"WOOD END, (the seat of Samuel Crompton, Esq.) in the township and parish of Thornton-le-Street; 4 miles from Thirsk, 6 from Northallerton."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Leonard's Church, Thornton le Street.
- Transcript of the entry for Thornton le Street in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thornton le Street.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton Le Street to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE414862 (Lat/Lon: 54.269786, -1.365815), Thornton Le Street which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: