THORNTON LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THORNTON LE STREET, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its railway station and post town, and 6 S. of Northallerton. The village is situated on the turnpike road leading from Thirsk to Northallerton. The parish includes the township of North Kilvington, the old seat of the Meynells, who hold the manor. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of North Otteringham, in the diocese of York. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. Wood End Hall is the principal residence. Sir R. Lester, the eminent physician, was born at this place."
"NORTH KILVINGTON, a township in the parish of Thornton-le-Street, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of the Thirsk railway station. There is a Roman Catholic chapel."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013