Hide

Thornton Steward, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

THORNTON STEWARD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"THORNTON STEWARD, a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Bedale, its post town, and 3½ N.E. of Middleham. The village is situated near the river Ure. The parish includes the hamlet of Danby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £234, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. The register dates from 1562. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There are a school for both sexes, endowed with an annuity of £10, and a church school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Lord Bolton is lord of the manor."


"DANBY, (or Danby-on-yore), a hamlet in the parish of Thornton Steward, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. of Middleham."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013