The Ancient Parish of THORNTON WATLASS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON WATLASS, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East; 3 miles SW. of Bedale; a parochial village. Here is a seat of Sir Edward Dodsworth, Bart. of Newland hall, who resides here occasionally. Pop. 180. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), is a rectory in the patronage of Mark Milbank, Esq.
About half way up the church steeple, a door on the right, opens into a room with stone floor, four spaces square, in which is a fire-place and other conveniences. For what purpose this room has been used, the records of the church are silent. Probably as a watch tower, it having small windows in the sides."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Thornton Watlass: 1861, 1891, 1901
- Transcript of the entry for Thornton Watlass in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thornton Watlass.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton Watlass to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE235855 (Lat/Lon: 54.264627, -1.640711), Thornton Watlass which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: