Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Thornton Watlass:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Thornton Watlass:


"CLIFTON CASTLE, (The seat of Timothy Hutton, Esq.); in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang-East; 1¼ miles SW. of Thornton Watlass, 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale. 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale.

In the reign of Edward II. Geoffrey-le-Scrope, who had large possessions in these parts, obtained license to make a castle of his house at Clifton- upon-Ure, and also for free warren in all his demesne lands at Clifton, &c. -Dugd.-Baron. This castle has long since ceased to exist, and the last remains were removed by the present proprietor in 1802, to make room for the present elegant modern mansion."


"CLIFTON LODGE, (the seat of John Clerveaux Chaytor, Esq.) in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang-East; 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale."


"CLIFTON UPON URE, an area including Clifton Castle in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles WSW. of Thornton Watlass, 2 miles N. of Masham. Pop. 50."


"HELMING, a farm house in the township of Rookwith, and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 2¼ miles W. of Thornton Watlass, 4 miles from Bedale."


"MARRIFIRTH, (2005 - now Marriforth), 2 houses in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles WNW. of Thornton Watlass, 5 miles SW. of Bedale."


"PASTURE HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 3 miles from Bedale."


"POND HOUSE, (High and Low), 2 farm houses in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NNW. of Thornton Watlass, 3 miles WSW. of Bedale."


"ROOKWITH, in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles WNW. of Thornton Watlass, 4 miles WSW. of Bedale. Pop. 76."


"STONEY CLOSE HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Thirn, and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 3 miles from Masham, 4 from Bedale."


"THIRN, in the parish of Thornton Watlass, & wapentake of Hang East; 1¼ miles WSW. of Thornton Watlass, 2 miles N. of Masham. The residence of C. N. Clarke, Esq. of the Hermitage. Population, 126."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]