[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"UPLEATHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3 miles NNE. of Guisborough. This village consists of a few houses, scattered irregularly on the southern declivity of a hill, and commands a pleasing view of Skelton castle, and the beautiful vale below. The hall is a neat and modern mansion, facing to the south and west, and sheltered on the east with thriving plantations; the rising grounds on the north are ornamented with clumps of trees, and the surrounding scenery presents a charming aspect of tranquillity and retirement. The chapel is a small ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph), in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and the Rev. T. P. Williamson is the perpetual curate. It was anciently a chapel under Guisborough, possessing parochial rights, till its augmentation by Queen Anne's bounty, when it became a perpetual curacy. Robert de Brus gave it to the priory there. There is also here a small Methodist chapel. Pop. 239."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of the Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Upleatham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Upleatham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upleatham to another place.
- In 1867, the new parish of Redcar was carved out of the parishes of Marske by the Sea and Upleatham. See Redcar Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ633195 (Lat/Lon: 54.566774, -1.022499), Upleatham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: