The Ancient Parish of WARTHILL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WARTHILL, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; (the seat of Benjamin Agar, Esq.) 5 miles ENE. of York. Here is a church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Mary; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Warthill, and the Rev. Isaac Grayson, is the incumbent. Population, 153."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Warthill in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warthill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE675553 (Lat/Lon: 53.989346, -0.97201), Warthill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque 1914-1918 in St. Mary's Church, Warthill.