Warthill Parish information from Bulmers' 1890.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of East Bulmer - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish is in the liberty of St. Peter, and in former times most of it belonged to the prebendal stall of Warthill. A portion of it, consisting of 623 acres, of the rateable value of £989, is copyhold, of which Edward Rooke, Esq., is lord of the manor. Miss Agar, of Brockfield House, is lady of the manor of the freehold portion, consisting of 319 acres, of the rateable value of £379. Miss Lloyd, of Stockton, is also a landowner in the parish. The united population is 190. The occupiers of the freehold and copyhold property support their poor separately. The surface of the soil is generally flat, rather light, and of an inferior quality. The York and Market Weighton railway runs through the parish, and what was called Stockton station was changed to Warthill in 1872. Brockfield House, a white brick edifice, built in 1824, stands in a spacious park, and is the residence of Miss Agar. The village of Warthill is small, and lies five miles N.E. of York, and 1¼ miles from the railway station.
The church (St. Mary) is a small red brick building, without aisles, and consisting of chancel, nave, porch, tower, and spire with three bells. It is in the Early English style of architecture, and was rebuilt in 1778, at the sole expense of an ancestor of the present lady of the manor. The registers date from the time of the Revolution, 1688. The church was restored in 1876 by Miss Agar, at a cost of £1,500. The east window in the church consists of three lights of stained glass. In the centre light is a figure of Our Lady, and on the left and right respectively the figures of St. Peter and St. John. This was the joint presentation of Miss Agar and Mrs. Barstow, in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John Agar. The reredos is in Mosaic tiling, and painted by Miss Agar. The Commandments, Lord's Prayer, and Creed, are burnt into the tiles by a special process. The living is a vicarage of the net annual value of £210, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1880 by the Rev. S. B. Craig, M.A., who is also vicar of Gate Helmsley, and who lives at the vicarage. which is situated midway between the two parishes, about one mile distant from each.
There is a Wesleyan Chapel in the village, of small dimensions, and built in 1841.
The school (mixed) was built in 1863. It is not under Government, and is supported by Miss Agar. Accommodation for 20 scholars. Miss Amelia Kirlew is the mistress. The teacher's present residence was formerly the old school and house.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.