[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WELBURY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 7 miles NE. of Northallerton. There is no place of worship here except the parish church, which has lately been re-built, it is dedicated to St. Leonard. and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the King as Duke of Lancaster. Pop 257."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here is a photograph of St. Leonard's Church, Welbury. (With short history).
- Transcript of the entry for Welbury in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Welbury.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welbury to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ400023 (Lat/Lon: 54.414582, -1.385156), Welbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: