[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WELL, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles S. of Bedale. This village is said to derive its name from a famous well dedicated to St. Michael, which is supplied by a spring issuing from a rock, and which flows invariably at all seasons of the year. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. James; containing monuments of several of the Lords of Snape; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Charles Chaplin, Esq. the master of Well Hospital. Here is an hospital for sixteen poor persons, eight of Well and eight of Snape, and two free schools, one for boys and the other for girls, all founded and very liberally endowed by the Nevilles of Snape Hall and Middleham, in the 14th century. This place also contained a monastery, of which the residence of Richard Strangeways, Esq. is the remains. Pop. 370."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Michael's Church, Well.
- St. Michael's Church, Well. (With short history).
- The Methodist Church, Well, opened 1849. (With short history).
- The Castle Chapel of St Mary, Snape. (With short history).
- The Methodist Church, Snape. (With short history).
- Transcript of the entry for Well in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Well.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Well to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE268819 (Lat/Lon: 54.232112, -1.590369), Well which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: