WELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WELL, a parish in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Bedale, and 3 E. of Masham. It includes the township and village of Snape and the hamlets of Langley and Langwith. It takes its name from a spring or well near St. Michael's hospital, founded in 1342 by Ralph Neville for eight poor men and eight women, and which is still extant. Snape Castle or Hall is a large castellated building, partly in ruins, said to have been rebuilt by the Latimers in the reign of Henry VI., and near it is Thorp Perrow, the residence of Mark Milbank, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £130. The church is dedicated to St. James. The interior was restored in 1854, at the expense of C. Chaplin and Mark Milbank, Esqs., when several stained windows were inserted by the Earl of Stamford and the Milbank family. In the S. chapel is an altar-tomb of the last Lord Latimer, stepson of Catherine Parr, and in the S. aisle is an alto-relievo by Westmacott to Lady Margaret Milbank, also a brass of Lady Dorothy Neville. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are two endowed schools. The charities produce about £270 per annum."
"LANGLEY, a hamlet in the township of Snape and parish of Well, North Riding of county York, 2 miles S. of Bedale."
"SNAPE, a township in the parish of Well, wapentake of Hang East, North Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Bedale, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of Well. The township includes the hamlet of Langley. The soil is of various qualities, with limestone and building-stone. In the vicinity is Snape Castle, or Hall, now in a ruinous state. It was formerly the seat of the Fitz-Randolphs and Nevilles, Lords of Middleham, and Earls of Exeter, and was about Henry VI.'s time rebuilt by the Latimers. Out of one of its compartments has been constructed a chapel-of-ease. Thorp Perrow is now the principal residence. Two free schools were founded in the 14th century by Lady Neville of Snape Castle. M. Milbank, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013