[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WEST ROUNTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 7 miles NNE. of Northallerton. Here is a church, dedicated to St. James the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster, and the incumbent is the Rev. Montague Wynward, of York, and the curate is the Rev. Edmund Goldsmith. Population, 217."
"CARR BRIDGE, in the parish of West Rounton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; ¾ mile NNW. of West Rounton, 7 miles S. of Yarm."
"IRBY, or EARBY, a farm house in the township and parish of West Rounton; ¼ mile SW. of West Rounton, 6 miles from Northallerton."
"OXCLOSE HOUSE, a farm house in the parish of West Rounton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1¼ miles N. of West Rounton, 4 miles from Yarm."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for West Rounton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of West Rounton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Rounton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ414034 (Lat/Lon: 54.424355, -1.363432), West Rounton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: