Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WEST TANFIELD.     Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,070 acres. Hallikeld wapentake. -Population, 693; Church-room, 280; Net value, £416. -The Church is an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Marmions, (some of whom are entombed here) and afterwards came to the Lords Fitz Hugh.

Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. Valued in the King's Books, at £13. 0s. 5d.

An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. III.

Here was a Chantry founded by Maud, wife of the last John, Lord Marmion, consisting of a warden and three Priests, to pray for her soul and also for the souls of her husband and Robert her son.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Wilson and Beckwith's, by deed, 5th May 1614, and 18th Jan. 1709. Rent of 14a. 0r. 18p.; £4 given among four widows, residue in bread at Christmas and Midsummer. In lieu of bread, the rent is now divided among ten poor widows.

Francis Allen's gift, 1737. 20s. per annum.

Rev. John Moore's gift, 1743. Interest of £10.

Rev. Charles Francis's gift, 1784. Interest of £20.

Catherine Allen's gift, in 1769. Interest of £30, for teaching three poor children.

The School. £8 per annum paid by the Earl of Ailesbury. It does not appear how this stipend was granted. Free for one child of each of the Earl's tenants in the parish. A manuscript book was produced to the Commissioners, containing the following entry, " Tanfield school was founded by Diana, Countess of Oxford, free for the children of the tenants of the Earl of Ailesbury. The salary of the master was £25 per annum ; she likewise gave £15 per annum to apprentice three poor boys annually out of the parish. The said sum of £40 a year was charged on the lands of the Hall Garth for ever, but except £8 a year, which is still paid to the schoolmaster, that, and 40s. a year, called the Lady's Dole, to the poor, were discontinued by the late Earl of Ailesbury, then Lord Bruce, in or about the year 1725". -Vide 5th Report, page 648.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1601. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bodleian MSS. No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Tanefeld), pages 92., 114. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 165. Hargrove's Knaresbrough, page 257.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.