WEST TANFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WEST TANFIELD, a parish in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.W. from Ripon, containing 709 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £13.0. 5., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure, containing many curious old monuments: attached to it is the chantry of Maud Marmion, founded, in the time of Henry III., for a master, warden, and two brothers, to pray for the souls of Lord and Lady Marmion. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Eleven poor children are educated for £8 per annum, left by Diana, Countess of Oxford, and a smaller annuity bequeathed by Catherine Allen, in 1769. On the banks of the Ure, which is here of considerable width and crossed by a bridge, are the remains of Tanfield castle, the origin and history of which are involved in obscurity."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]