WEST TANFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"WEST TANFIELD, (and East Tanfield) a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, on the E. side of Masham. In the Ch. of the latter are several monuments of the Marmions, its ancient Lds. who had a castle here, as the Fitzhughs had before them, which passed by marriage to the Greys of Rotherfield."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]