[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WEST WITTON, a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, & liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles WSW. of Leyburn. The church is a modern structure, of which the Rev. Jeffery Wood, is the curate; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Lord Bolton: here is likewise a Catholic chapel. There is immediately on the north side of this village, a beautiful piece of ground commonly called the Gill, situated on the side of a hill, surrounded by a natural walk or promenade, the highest part of which is finely sheltered by trees arising out of the rocky side of it, which have a grand and imposing appearance. About the centre is a small waterfall, which adds greatly to the beauty of the scene. Population, 519.
The Church of West-Witton was early bestowed on the house of Jerveaux, but never appropriated. In an ancient taxation of the archdeaconry of Richmond, S.D. it is classed among the chapels, and subject only to the payment of iiis. for Peter pence. It was, however, dependant on no other church, and though now endowed as a perpetual curacy only, is strictly parochial. --Whitaker."
"TEMPLE, a farm house in the township and parish of West-Witton; 6 miles from Leyburn, 7 from Middleham."
"WANLASS, 2 farm houses in the township and parish of West-Witton; ¾ mile N. of West Witton, 3½ miles from Leyburn, 5 from Middleham."
- Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- West Witton: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
- Transcript of the entry for West Witton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Here is a view across across Wensleydale showing West Witton and Penhill.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Witton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE061884 (Lat/Lon: 54.291189, -1.90779), West Witton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: